The Stagecoach school bus timetables can be found via the orange link below or by selecting the bus route below:
Please note that, due to the numbers of students using the 459 bus service, Stagecoach have amended the 427 (Frenchay route) so that it will now begin its journey at Westbourne Road in Downend before stopping at Bromley Heath and then finally at Frenchay. It is also important for anyone travelling to school by bus to check the routes before using the service.
- Stagecoach will expect all students to wear a face covering when using their buses, at all times.
- From 1st September 2020, students arriving by school bus must remain seated on the bus and should only alight from the bus and make their way onto site when a member of Winterbourne staff has given permission. This will happen one bus at a time.
- Once they have left the bus, students must not linger, wait or go in any other direction than the school.
- Please remind students of the existing expectation that they must not go to the local shops, the park or anywhere else except into school when they get off the bus.
- There will not be time in the morning for your child to visit the local shops if they travel by bus - therefore it is critically important that you send your child to school with any required snacks/ packed lunches if they do not wish to purchase from the canteen.
- Students leaving at the end of the day will follow a slightly staggered sequence by year group bubble, which will be explained to them on arrival. The departure sequence can be found below. Please note, students must leave the site promptly.
- Afternoon dismissal times for all students is now the normal end of day time of: 2.40pm
- Those students catching a school bus will go to the all-weather pitch and assemble in lines by their bus routes (new signage has been added to show students where to assemble). They will be asked to board buses by members of staff one bus at a time and drivers will not permit students to enter the bus until their line has been asked to do so by a member of staff.
- If you have a concern or complaint regarding the Stagecoach bus service, please contact 0117 9431440 or 9695286 or the South West Head Office on 01452 41863
On behalf of Stagecoach, we would like to thank parents/carers for their regular support and comments with regards to the school bus service. Your input has been invaluable in assisting Stagecoach to continually analyse the routes and amend timetables as necessary.
Please be aware that all timetables are subject to change
The school operates a daily late bus, which is a free service designed for students at Winterbourne Academy who have period 6 lessons or are participating in pre-approved extra-curricular activities.
The late bus departs from the front entrance to the school at 4.35pm each afternoon.
The route and timings of the late bus vary dependent on who is using the service and therefore it is important that students inform the driver of these intended destination as they board the bus. The general route consists of:
- Bristol Road
- Church Road, Frampton Cotterell
- Badminton Road, Coalpit Heath
- Left at the Badminton Road roundabout along the ring road towards Lyde Green, stopping at any metro bus stop on the way
- Lyde Green
- Emersons Green (Sainsbury’s only)
- Back down the ring road taking a left at the Beefeater and onto Westerleigh Road
- turn right onto Westbourne Road, Downend (they will stop at either end on request)
- Right onto Badminton Road
- not turning into Bromley Heath but stopping at the top of Four Acre Road or Oakdale Road
- Badminton Road shops (The Horseshoe)
- Along Downend Road towards the Straights Parade at Fishponds
- Back along Overndale Road in Downend
- Along Bromley Heath Road
- Onto the Ring Road, stopping at the metro bus stop for anyone needing Frenchay
- Carry along the ring road down to the new turning by the Holiday Inn towards Stoke Gifford
- Across the roundabout towards Bradley Stoke
- along Bradley Stoke Way
- Gloucester Road, Patchway
- Gypsy Patch Lane
Bus Q&A / General Information
Any students starting at Winterbourne Academy who are eligible for free transport (including the 427 school bus service from Frenchay) will be contacted directly by South Gloucestershire Council prior to their admission in September (usually by mid-June). If you feel your child may be entitled to free school transport, and you haven't been contacted automatically, please speak to South Gloucestershire Council Student Access and Support Department on 01454 868008 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
When travelling to and from the Academy, please remember you are a member of the Academy and you are expected to behave both sensibly and safely. The bus companies reserve the right to refuse entry to any students travelling to school on the bus who behave inappropriately.
Parent/carers are responsible for making sure that cycles, scooters and cars used to and from the Academy are legally safe. Students should ride in a manner which is safe and keeping with the law. Cycles and scooters should be wheeled through the entrances and kept in the designated bicycle racks and should be secure. Under no circumstances should they be allowed in any part of the Academy building. The Academy will investigate damage to/theft of cycles but they are left at the owner’ risk. To avoid possible damage students should avoid loitering near cycles or any other vehicles. Motorised scooters are not permitted transport for any student aged 16 and under.
PLEASE NOTE, on 16th November 2019, our school bus provider transferred ownership from South Gloucestershire Bus and Coach Company to Stagecoach Services Limited.