Unfortunately, work experience for 2019/2020 had to be cancelled due to COVID-19. In its place, 'My Week of Work' will run from 8th to 12th June 2020 and is offered to all year 10 students (and year 9 students to prepare them for 2020/21 careers activities whilst providing them with a valuable work insight.
Please click the links below for further information
|Information for parents/ carers of students in Year 9 and 10||Student Guide - "My Week of Work" - 8th June 2020|
Students at Winterbourne Academy have the opportunity to participate in a week long (up to) Work Experience placement as part of their ongoing careers education and preparation for the world of work.
The benefits of Work Experience for students:
- Gain skills from researching and organising their placement;
- Personal experience of the demands of being an employee;
- Improves understanding of the employer’s sector of industry;
- Improves awareness of routes into careers;
- Develops key employability skills;
- Improves confidence and independence;
- Helps learning to be applied in the wider community and helps further progression;
- Contributes towards academic achievement.
When to go:
Year 10 students will be allowed to take up a Work Experience placement during the following week in July 2020:
- Monday 6th July – Friday 10th July 2020
- Work Experience presentation made to students - January 2020
- Parental letter - 10th February 2020
Part of the process is for students to find their own placements. This can be done by students contacting companies by letter, email or telephone call. As soon as work experience has been found, students need to fill out the mini survey below:
Details needed to complete the survey
- Name of main contact at the company
- Company name
- Job role
- Email address of the company contact
- Telephone number of the contact
- Full address of the company
When the survey is complete, students will be able to get a card form to be filled out by parents and the company, then returned to reception. It is important that students secure a placement by the end of March 2020 in order for school to ensure the relevant health and safety checks have been carried out
If students struggle to find a work placement, the academy will provide limited support to enable this to be done.
Thank you to the number of you who have been in contact with me already regarding this. I am very happy that providing the work experience has been authorised with me, for certain “high value” work experiences to happen outside of the times listed above. However, students will still need to find work experience on the official week in addition.
Work Experience Application Form (Word Document) - hard copies available from Main and Student Reception
Work experience opportunities
For any questions relating to work experience, please contact:
Mrs Sue Happy
Careers and Partnerships Co-ordinator
Winterbourne Academy – Mondays, Tuesday and Wednesdays
Tel: 01454 252000 – Sue.firstname.lastname@example.org